What is the Maritime Labour Convention 2006 (MLC 2006)?
On the 20th August 2013 the Maritime Labour Convention 2006 (MLC2006) came into force. The MLC 2006 is an important convention that merges labour standards for seafarers across ratified flag states. The purpose of the MLC2006 is to protect seafarers and to ensure they understand their rights.
The general scope and application of the MLC2006 are as follows:
- Minimum requirements for seafarers to work on a ship
- Conditions of employment
- Accommodation, recreational facilities, food and catering
- Health and protection, medical care, welfare and social security protection
- Compliance and enforcement
Download the full version of MLC 2006 here
What does that mean for the Yacht?
SuperYacht Rotation are voluntary compliant with the terms of 1.4 of the MLC 2006 and as such we have enforced several points to ensure a yachts compliancy also.
We require the Master to provide us with:
- The yacht’s MLC 2006 Certificate.
- Confirmation that, where possible the terms of your contract will be given to you prior to embarkation.
- Confirmation the SEA (seafarers employment agreement) given to you (the crewmember) will pertain information that the shipowner has the means to protect a seafarer from being stranded in a foreign port.
What does that mean for crew?
SuperYacht Rotation voluntary comply with the MLC 2006 convention by.
- Keeping an up to date, confidential database of all seafarers recruited or placed by ourselves
- Conducting confidential reference checks
- Verifying the validation and authenticity of all cetification and licenses
- Ensuring we do not charge seafarers for our services, they are completely free of charge
- We do not operate a black list or the like to prevent or deter seafarers gaining employment
- We do not recruit any seafarers under the age of 18
- Valid medical certificate e.g ENG1 (within the last two years)
- Passport (Copy)
- The 5 basic STCW module certificate’s
- Qualifications/Certificates – All Licenses & Certificates CoCs
- CV and references
- It is advised under the convention that you have sight of your SEA(seafarers employment agreement) prior to embarking the yacht.
Your CV, certificates (your qualifications, scanned) and references will be stored on a private secure database that can only be accessed by us. Every time you send us updated information we will update your file. Your CV will be used to put you forward for jobs. At all other times it will be kept confidential and we will not pass on your data to anyone.